Tags

, ,

Grand Riviera Princess Hotel

ABC news is reporting that nine of 18 people hurt in Sunday’s blast in the Grand Riviera Princess hotel in Playa del Carmen, south of Cancun, were released from hospital on Monday.

First investigations suggested that “an accumulation of gas caused by the decomposition of organic material” underneath the lobby was behind the explosion, which blew out windows, said Francisco Alor, attorney general of the south-eastern Quintana Roo state, on Milenio television.

The damaged area of the hotel had been built four years ago on top of swampy area, Mr Alor said, ruling out that the explosion could have been an attack.

“Nine of the 18 injured were released from hospital. We have nine more in hospital, all in a stable condition,” including four Canadians, two US citizens and three Mexicans, Mr Alor said.

The five deceased Canadian tourists included three men, one woman and a nine-year-old boy. The Mexicans killed were a tourist guide and the hotel’s security director, Mr Alor said.

Advertisements